I enjoy reading a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction. Here’s what I’ve been reading lately — I would love to hear what you are reading and enjoying so let me know.
Books read in 2017
- Next: Next: Pastoral Succession That Works by Williams Vanderbloemen and Warren Bird
- Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard (Fabulous book – highly recommend!)
- The Five-Thousand Year Leap by Leon Skousen (Great book on what philosophies shaped the birth of our great nation)
- Saying Goodbye: A Time of Growth for Congregations and Pastors by Edward White
- Series by Joel Rosenberg: The Last Jihad, The Last Days, The Ezekiel Option, The Copper Scroll, Dead Heat. These books are loosely based on Rosenberg’s thoughts on the end times. I think he is a messianic Jew but don’t know much about him. The books held my interest and were clean novels with good values – even if I don’t agree with the prophetic approach the author seems to embrace.
- Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande (Excellent Book — see my blog about it)
Book List 2016
Of the books below I think I would recommend just about all of them. I think the stand out favorite was The Glass Castle for pure enjoyment. Truman was very well written and informative. Messy Grace should be read by every ?Christian who wants to gain a better perspective on the church’s relationship with the LGBTQ community and our broader culture.
- Necessary Endings: The Employees, Businesses, and Relationships that All of Us Have to Give Up In Order to Move Forward by Dr. Henry Cloud
- Transitional Ministry Today: Successful Strategies for Churches and Pastors
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
- The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy
- The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- Unreasonable Hope: Finding Faith in the God Who Brings Purpose to Your Pain by Pastor Chad Veach
- Truman, by David McCollough
- War and remembrance by Herman Wouk
- Messy Grace: How a Pastor with Gay Parents Learned to Love Others Without Sacrificing Conviction by Caleb Kaltenbach
- Congregational Leadership in Anxious Times by Peter Steinke
- The Last Jihad by Joel Rosenberg
- The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
- No God but One: Allah or Jesus?: A Former Muslim Investigates the Evidence for Islam by Nabeel Qureshi